Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Transition

 

It's been a long time since my last blog post. Four months actually. Since then Forester has had another brain MRI and he continues to be cancer free! We're transitioning into a new phase of post treatment care.  Forester continues to get hearing tests and blood work and physical therapy but he is now also meeting with an Endocrinologist. Due to radiation to his brain and spine it is expected that he will not grow as he should and his hormone levels may not function properly.  We have already seen a drop in his height percentage as he used to be in the 60th percentile and has dropped to the 30th. Growth hormone shots may be in his future but not yet.

We've also seen some struggles in school this past year also due to radiation therapy slowing down his brain's processing center. Some of the struggles are also due to missing an entire year of school & trying to make it up within four months. There are some learning gaps that we need to make up for. Overall, he ended 3rd grade with A's and B's and we are extremely proud of him.  He worked hard for it. Unfortunately, school is not as fun as it used to be and we had quite a few homework battles at home. As our children transition out of their small private Christian school into public school next year, we're praying for: 1) the right school - as we are still undecided on where we will be living (in Charleston) in the fall. 2) Compassionate and passionate teachers & staff who are willing to work with Forester's needs. 3) A renewed love for school for Forester and peace at home when working on it.  We would love your prayers as well! Thank you.

Since this blog has been mainly focused on Forester's cancer journey, the posts have waned because life has returned to normal around here. Praise God for no news! So, I think I'll begin to transition back to blogging about "life as we know it", my internal thoughts and struggles...you know, awesome cancer-free boring stuff! I'm actually thinking this blog is about to have a new purpose but... we'll talk about that next week.  Anyway, I tell you all of this to give you permission to unsubscribe without guilt if you don't want to continue to receive my blog updates. My feelings won't be hurt, I promise. Just send an email to: bradburnfamily@gmail.com with "Unsubscribe" in the title.  But, I hope most of you will stay with me on this journey. I'll need your help in the challenges that lie ahead. More about that next week....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would be totally honored to have Forester as a student in my class. His new teacher will be blessed to have him. I will pray that you are able to find that perfect school and teacher for him!