Monday, December 14, 2009

Transition

I'm sorry it's been so long since my last post.  The wonderful Christmas craziness has begun and I haven't had a chance to update you. I never did finish a slideshow of Slade's first year.  After the New Year, I guess...

There isn't a whole lot to report.  Things have been going smoothly and Forester is doing well. We're still trying to adjust to this new schedule of normalcy!  After so much this year, I find it a little bit difficult to transition back into our old life.  Of course, it will never be our old life because that was a life without a child with cancer.  I was talking with another cancer-kid mom the other day and I said something like It's hard to imagine what life will be like when this is over.  And she posed the question: "Is cancer ever really over?"  I wasn't sure how to answer that.  Forester will have MRI scans for the rest of his life.  How do I not live in fear that his cancer will come back every time he gets a scan? Will it always define him?  Will it always define us?  I don't know. 

Right now, we're working on transitioning Forester back into school by sometime in January.  He has a lot of progress to make between now and then but I think we can do it.  The biggest challenges for him will be stamina and schedule.  He's used to taking a 2 hour nap everyday,  eating whatever he wants whenever he wants, and in general, a whole lot of flexibility.  We've started to cut out the naps and as of this evening Forester will finally be sleeping in his own room - not on the floor in our room like he has the last 10 months.  Kinda sounds like I'm transitioning an infant doesn't it?  All 3 kids in their beds by 8pm tonight sounds like a dream!  Pray that it goes well.  Forester wasn't too excited about leaving our bedside.  He's become quite attached to his little space in the corner.

Forester continues to go to the hospital clinic once a week for blood labs and this week he'll have another hearing test.  He'll have another MRI of his brain at the end of this month.  He still takes a handful of pills 3x times a day but hopefully as time goes on the amount of pills that he needs will decrease. Accutane will start back up after Christmas.

Hard to believe it's less than 2 weeks till Christmas!  Remember when you were a kid and it took forever for the month of December to go by?  We've really enjoyed getting ready.  We have a beautiful tree, lots of other decorations up and several Advent calendars.  The boys love counting down the days until Jesus' birthday and Santa's visit! Forester keeps reminding me that we really need to move all of the stuff that's in front of the fireplace because it will be in Santa's way.  They've even been a little nicer to one another as the Elf on the Shelf is watching... 

We have so much to be thankful for this Christmas.  I hope during all the busyness of this month, you have a chance to stop, look around and truly be thankful for all the blessings in your life. 

Love to all,
Whitney

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Precious Whitney:

You probably don't remember me. When you transitioned from Mt. Pisgah's Wednesday night worship service, I filled in temporarily for a short time (I went to Ben Hill and your dad were close friends of my first husband and I). As it turns out, these many, many years later I work with Brian Bartlett. I saw one of the CD covers posted on his cubicle and I told him the story of this young woman who sang like an angel whom I had the pleasure of covering for. I gushed on about your dad and then we realized we were talking about YOU! I am thrilled to find you again and my heart was full to the point of tears at the news of Forrester. But I want to tell you that, NO, cancer will not define your life. I have more experience with cancer (Aunt and currently my mother) that I care to think about. I understand so deeply about feeling deflated at times. But I wanted to express my heartfelt understanding and compassion in the feelings you expressed after talking to the cancer-kid mom. Be encouraged today, Beautiful Woman. You are not alone. One of the greatest lessons God has blessed me with is that cancer does not have to define our lives - regardless of how long we have to journey on the path it sets before us. My mom and I have learned this lesson together. I have also learned the importance of surrounding myself with positive, Christ-centered fellow journeywomen/men who can help me through their compassion without making me question things to the point of fear. Even well-meaning folks can put you in that space if you're not careful. I must be running out of space, but I just had to write. By the way, when you knew me some 10+ years ago, my name was Karen Smith - at the time I was married to Carl Smith (that's a whole other story of God's redemption). My email address is kr_hilton@hotmail.com. I would love to hear from you, but will also keep up via your blog - which I adore. You are obviously a very blessed woman, with an exquisite family. Here's to strength for the journey, until we meet again. Blessings, Karen Hilton